Kaunas introduces EU’s most successful community project – the capital of culture.
The heads of ten culture capitals, participants from 15 EU states, politicians, culture operators, artists and other public figures are all guests and speakers at the European Capital of Culture Forum.
This is the first international forum to present in detail the programme of the cultural capitals by the European Commission, also to strengthen the collaborations between the cultural sectors of Europe.
Themes of the forum:
CHANGES FOR THE CITY, DISTRICT, LITHUANIA AND EUROPE
- What’s in store for Kaunas and the rest of Lithuania when the year of the European Capital of Culture is approaching?
- What achievements has Kaunas and the Kaunas District already witnessed during this past year of active work?
- Learning from the success stories of other European Capitals of Culture.
- How can we ensure a sustainable effect of the culture capital programme for Kaunas and the rest of the country?
CULTURE CAPITAL AS A COMMUNITY PROJECT
Expert insights. The forum’s speakers (former and future creators of the culture capital programmes, leaders of the creative sector, etc.) will talk and examine the effect culture has on a city’s social and economic prosperity.
Discussions. The most relevant challenges of the Lithuanian cultural field will be discussed.
Unique workshops. Experts of audience development and community culture will share their insights with the forum’s participants.
CULTURE CAPITAL AS AN EDUCATIONAL PROJECT FOR THE CULTURE SECTOR
The forum will introduce several examples that will touch on the subjects within the Kaunas 2022 programme:
- Innovative models of international collaboration between sectors and institutions.
- The relationship between cultural organisations and society.
- Practices of involving the audience and co-creating.
- Increasing the reach of cultural services and creating sustainable bonds with the audience.
IDEAS FOR THE EUROPEAN UNION
A different take on the very concept of a culture capital will be discussed during the forum:
- The project of a culture capital always affects more than just one city and district.
- How can the culture capital become both an example and a laboratory to develop the ideas of the EU?
- What are the benefits of this project for the economic and political culture of the EU?